Sunday, August 16, 2009

Eric's Red Letter Day

So today I am totally psyched because I finally get to use the Red Door Spa coupon that John gave me for our second year anniversary (yes, over a year ago). I leave the house early, with plenty of time to read what I call my "smut magazines" (I have to catch up on the Jon-Kate drama, and... OMG Jessica Simpson is dating a Redskin QB??!! Crap, the season's over already!).

I get my massage, and knowing full well that I won't be able to do this again for a long, long, LONG time, I hang out for a bit. I even take a shower just so I can overload on the free Elizabeth Arden skin and hair care products.

Then I come home to what I hope will be two sleeping babies. Yes, I'm a dreamer.

I am greeted at the door with my smiling toddler and John saying, "Guess what Eric learned to do today?"

It turns out my 19 month old learned how to:
1) Open the front door with the dead bolt engaged. I didn't know he could reach the dead bolt.
2) Climb out of his crib. This kid has flexibility international gymnasts would envy. He lifts his leg almost 180 degrees, pulls himself onto the railing and then THUNK! He hits the floor and can...
3) Open te door to his room. Which means he can now open every door in the house.

And here I was thinking that I could manage without any extra help once Laurie leaves... :-(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's eternally amazing how smart and resourceful toddlers can be. Eric wants to go outside and can't because Mommy and Daddy are busy or whatever? He can make it happen himself! He's ready to get up from his nap and parents aren't ready to come get him right away? He can do it himself! You've got to love the independent toddler thing when you look at Rachel, whose only tool to assert her independence is to cry and roll over. :)

MidwestNellie said...

I am NOT looking forward to the day (in the not so distant future) when my daughter can manage all of that. It's all I can do to keep up with her now that she's walking.