Monday, January 26, 2009

Join Us...

Just wanted to give a congrats to the 2 newest members of the Club O' Spawning...

Jessica and Bob Landon will be having a baby in September. This is really exciting as they've been trying for a while, doing the whole fertility treatment thing, and now it's happening. They will make incredible parents. Congratulations, guys!

Also Christina and Patrick Reynolds, now living in North Carolina, will be having a new addition to their family as well. I tell everyone who's about to have kids- get as much sleep and sex as you can because after the baby comes you won't be able to get enough of the former and you won't care about the latter.

Onto "Jen is Going Crazy" news...

Eric has decided that he will not nap in the afternoons. I am hoping that this is just a side-effect of all the excitement this past weekend from being in the new house everyday. I swear, if he has dropped a nap, especially the afternoon nap, I will probably have a nervous break-down. God, I NEED some time to do something around here (God knows when Rachel arrives I won't have ANY free time at all)! At least I can still put Eric down in the morning so I can get another quick hour of sleep. I knew the last trimester would be tough with a one year-old, but I wasn't prepared for the toll it would take on my body.

I had to take the routine glucose test last week at my mid-wife appointment. For those of you lucky enough to miss out on this level of fun, you basically fast for a few hours and/or can't eat carbs, drink some flat orange Fanta that your OB gives you, then get your blood drawn an hour later. This is to make sure your glucose levels aren't high, which could mean you have gestational diabetes or GD. The day of my test I lost the stupid instruction sheet, and I didn't remember to call my mid-wife's office until 3pm. The sweet but apparently clueless secretary told me I could still go through with the test in four hours, but not to eat anything sweet until after the test. Well, my levels came back at 154 while the mid-wife wanted them to be less than 140.

That level isn't horrible, but after speaking with someone at the office who was knowledgible I realized that I shouldn't have eaten ANY carbs that day. Which, of course, I did. The good news is that I probably don't have GD. The bad news is that I have to eat 150 grams of carbs every day until Wednesday night. Then I fast until my appointment at 8am on Thursday morning (John will watch Eric, i.e. no nap for Jen... [sob]). I get my blood drawn when I walk blurry-eyed and starving into the appointment, then drink that nasty flat soda, and sit for 3 bloody hours, getting my blood drawn every hour. I'm trying to look on the bright side: I get to catch up on my celebrity-smut magazine reading. I get away from the house for 3 hours. But I won't get to eat or drink anything except that ^%!$@*@ orange drink until 11am.

I'm really scared I'll have GD, not because there's a good probability I could end up with diabetes in the next 10 years (according to studies), but mostly because I'll be put on a strict diet and won't be able to indulge in glorious, nutritious meals like Hershey bars dipped in peanut butter with 16 ounces of milk. Or my go-to night-cap of not 1, not 2, but 3 12 ounce cups of chocolate milk.

As I said, I'm sure the first test was a fluke. I am the epitome of healthy eating. :-)


Anonymous said...

I had GD when I was pg with Megan and it really wasn't so bad. What really sucked is even though I "passed" the first test when I was PG with Lauren, they still made me go back for the 3 hr test since I had GD with my first pregnancy!

FYI... at 1 yr old both of my girls had dropped to one nap a day. I know that every kid is different, but he just might be done with the pm nap. Sorry!

Did you get your Bday card?Love you!

Jen said...

No bday card yet, but no worries... Weird if Eric IS ready to drop the afternoon nap. Most kids drop the first one. And he still seems tired in the afternoon! It's driving me nuts.

Miss you!! :-)

Anonymous said...

The girls had their nap right after lunch (we do lunch at 11ish) and napped for a good 1.5 to 2 hrs. Maybe try keeping him up in the mornings and see if he gives you a better nap mid-day.