Thursday, March 17, 2011

Someone I miss...

Day 30- A picture of someone I miss. I miss my grandfathers, but have no digital pictures of them. I miss my friend and former college room-mate Jessica, who would be celebrating her 34th birthday this year. She was hit by a car while riding her bike in Fredericksburg.

I was thinking about all the friends I miss and rarely ever see. The one who stands out, mostly because I will more than likely never see him again, is Ky.
The last time I hung out with Ky was almost three years ago when he came to visit Mariko and I here in DC. He's a 6'3" Chinese guy who can put down 2 Big Macs in a sitting and never get fat. It's irritating. Ky is now engaged and getting married next year. He currently lives in the UK, which makes a visit expensive (and ridiculously difficult with 2 young kids), but when he moves to China in the coming year to be with his fiancee, visiting will be almost impossible.

I met Ky at the HICE in Hamamatsu while taking a Japanese class on Saturday mornings. He would sit stoic and drink his Royal Milk Tea. I could see he was Chinese, and I thought he didn't speak a lick of English. Turns out he moved to the UK when he was 7 years old and was fluent in British english. Once Mariko and I became friends, we felt it was imperative to pull Ky (and any other English-speaker we could wrangle) into our craziness. His dry wit always made us laugh. And we taught him valuable American cultural nuances such as "going postal" and "going commando," which really made him give pause and consider the weirdos he was choosing to spend his time with. We also said "dude" a lot, which he in turn started saying all the time. And there is nothing funnier than a Chinese guy saying "dude" with a British accent. :-)
Anyway, as you can see from the pictures, he's great with kids and such a nice guy on top of having the world's best sense of humor. Miss you, Ky!

No comments: