Thursday, April 7, 2011

"Things do not change; we change"

The title of today's challenge is a quote by Henry Thoreau. Which is ironic since I met my friends in this first picture in American Literature class my junior year of high school. We were a motley crew of dorks who found one another over our mutual hatred of morons, conformity, and required reading. Despite the poor teacher moving us all around to keep herself sane (at one point we were literally at the 4 corners of the room), we managed to reek havoc.
Day 40- A picture of my friends.... who are pretending to be dead at our after prom murder mystery party. Did we know how to live it up, or what?

We all went our separate ways after high school. We all went to college; some of us graduated, some of us didn't. Some of us married, and some didn't. Some of us keep in touch, and some have disappeared, not even surfacing on social networking sites. But I think about them a lot. The older you get, the more you need to have people in your life who knew you when you were young.

Today, my friends consist of people I met in college, friends of my husband, old friends from work. We meet in our kitchens, over good food and sour complaints about work, politics, and the craziness of life in general. We wonder how we ever got so old. We laugh about old stories. We create new ones. We still drink beer. So this post is dedicated to my friends: those who are still with me and those who have moved on. I'm glad I knew you. Thank you for sharing a part of your life with mine.

No comments: