Tuesday, April 5, 2011

You can't find this family recipe anywhere else. Except that I just found it on google. I hate google.

Every Saturday from April until September under the warm sun of the Shenandoah Valley in central Virginia, you can find it. The delicious smells will beckon you from Interstate 81 and secondary roads from Augusta to Rockingham county and on into Harrisonburg...

Day 39- A picture of my favorite food.BBQ chicken. More specifically, BBQ chicken from the Shenandoah valley in Virginia.

According to my father, the recipe is derived from Rockingham Poultry, INC in Timberville. Supposedly my great-uncle Sam Crider, Jr. who worked in the office there had something to do with developing the recipe. This is my claim to fame, and it's not even technically mine, but I'll take it.

Apparently if you google "BBQ chicken Shenandoah valley" the recipe will come up. The recipe I have is a little different, but as long as your base is oil, apple cider vinegar, and tomato sauce, it will taste amazing. Make it for your next barbeque, then tell everyone you got the recipe from some random blog you read, only be sure to give them the web address so I can feel good about myself when I see I have more followers. I love followers... almost as much as Jesus.

Jen Crider Loizeaux's Freakin' Fabulous Favorite BBQ Chicken Recipe:

1/2 pt Wesson Oil
1 pt apple cider vinegar
1/2 pt tomato sauce
4 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/5th bottle Texas Pete

Note from my dad:
I place the raw chicken on the grill with the sides coated with sauce and keep it coated all the time. I think it might take about 1.5 hours to BBQ chicken legs and breasts, a bit less for wings. The fat in the skin really drips after a while and causes fire flare ups which can blacken and burn the chicken. Low temperature helps. Some folks boil the chicken first to get rid of the excess fat, but I've never tried that. A beer or two and a cigar helps pass the time.

Note from me:
Don't get the cigar butt in the chicken. The beer? No problem...

No comments: