Sunday, April 3, 2011

This post is dedicated to my high school sweetheart, not in a forlorn kind-of way, but because he has pictures of when I ACTUALLY looked cute!

Day 37- A picture taken at school.

I had nada, people. Nothing to show you. Which is kind-of ironic considering I have spent pretty much my entire freaking life at school, either as a student or a teacher. I know I have one lousy shot of me actually teaching my first year at Massaponax. I was 23 and had red, inflamed skin thanks to being allergic to food. I looked like an emaciated lobster. I'm pretty sure the picture was taken by a student who was attempting to blackmail me for a better grade. To ensure I kept my high moral standards as a teacher (and also to keep it out of the school paper), I smiled politely and allowed him to take the shot. The student then mysteriously disappeared, and my "Ashes of Problem Students" vase got a little heavier.

And who takes picture of themselves when they're IN school? Teenagers. But those pictures are buried in albums deep in the closet of my old bedroom at home.

I know I have a few shots of me at drunken parties at college, but here's hoping that those never surface, or my dreams of becoming a rep for my homeowners' association will go out the window. That was sarcasm. Which I was supposed to have given up for Lent....

So I had nothing to show for my 25+ years of public education. Then I check the comment section on my last post. Wouldn't you know... my ex from high school has old pictures. I found one of my old dachshund Alex. Then I checked the album, and holy crap!
I... was... YOUNG!!! Really young. I don't remember ever being that young.
And while I didn't get his permission, I'm hoping that Patrick isn't too upset. I mean, he made the mistake of giving me the link... And look at our HAIR!
I have no idea who took this picture of us at school, in what I suspect is my junior year of high school. But God bless them for making me smile.

And God bless Patrick for keeping the pictures.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Your post made my day. :) I'm glad my digital packrattery makes someone happy other than vendors of computer storage products.

The picture is from December, 1992 -- your junior year. The fuzzy basket next to us is my egg baby, from health class. I remember that because that stupid baby kept wandering off, dragging down my grade, and (I am not making this up) keeping me from being valedictorian two years later. I would guess that Andy or Lisa took the picture. And yes: you are welcome to do whatever you like with those high school-era pictures.

Jen said...

See, as I recall, you didn't do a health project. And when I nagged you about it, you claimed your grade could handle the inevitable "F" that would follow.

Just another example of how women are always right. Of course, you have 2 women in your home who remind you of that fact every day... ;-)